With whom is God concerned?
- Psalm 10:14 (helper of the fatherless) & 68:5, (defender of widows)
- Exodus 22:21-24 = Commands to the people of God to
- Not mistreat or oppress strangers
- Not take advantage of a widow or an orphan
- Leviticus 19:34 & 25:35
- Treat the stranger as you would the 'local'
- Help the 'locals' as you would a stranger
- Deuteronomy 10:18
- God defends the cause of the fatherless, widow and orphan. We are to
love the strangers and fear the Lord.
- Deuteronomy 14:28-29
- Strangers, fatherless, widows and Levites are grouped together so that
they all may glean. When THEY glean, we are blessed. The Levites had no
allotment or inheritance of their own.
- Deuteronomy 15:7-11
- "Do not be hard-hearted or tightfisted. Do not harbor this wicked thought
- God listens carefully to these people: "he may appeal to the Lord…
- There will always be poor in the land, THEREFORE…. I command you to
- Deuteronomy 24:17-18
- Do not deprive the alien (stranger), or the fatherless of justice
- Do not take the cloak of the widow as a pledge
- Remember: You were once in this situation!!! That is why God COMMANDS
- Deuteronomy 26:12
- The 'set-aside' was for the Levite, the alien, the fatherless and the
widow so that they may eat.
- Deuteronomy 27:19
- There is a curse upon the person who WITHHOLDS justice from the alien,
fatherless or widows
- Deuteronomy 31:12
- Include the alien (stranger) in your gatherings (assemblies) SO THAT
they can fear the Lord and follow carefully all the word of this law.
- Proverbs 15:25
- The Lord tears down the proud man's house but he keeps the widow's boundaries
- Proverbs 23:10
- God seems to be very concerned about the boundaries of the fatherless.
"Their defender is strong and he will take up their case against the one
who encroaches on their fields
Other scriptures to consider: Isaiah 1:17, James 1:27, Job 29:12-17 Jeremiah
7:6-7 & 49:11 Matthew 25:31-46